The Juvenile Justice Specialist works with the Director of the Juvenile Division to provide education, training, and assistance to juvenile courts and their staff in the area of juvenile justice. The Juvenile Justice Specialist:
- Researches juvenile justice initiatives and innovative programs utilized in other jurisdictions and collaborate with Juvenile Division leadership to develop and implement relevant programs in Arkansas.
- Stays knowledgeable concerning evidenced-based tools, screenings, and assessments utilized in the field of juvenile justice and provide necessary training to implement the use of tools by juvenile officers statewide.
- Works closely with juvenile officer leadership statewide to assess the needs of juvenile intake and probation officers and ascertains the appropriate services and/or programs to address those needs.
- Provides leadership and direction in instituting effective juvenile justice diversion programs and practices.
- Works with DYS, service providers, and other participants in the juvenile justice system.
- Plans and conducts initial certification training for juvenile intake and probation officers around the state and offers additional trainings in juvenile officer best practices.
Faye Shepherd is the AOC Juvenile Justice Specialist and may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 501-410-1957.